Easy and fun things to help the environment

Humorous Reflections on Fun Incremental Change.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Sack up!

There are so many simple little things that you can do which will make a difference in the world on a daily basis.  We have all been made aware of the evils of plastic shopping bags.  They are ubiquitous, which means something really bad, I think. 
To be honest, these stupid things are everywhere.  In some cities, they seem to be ornaments for the trees.  I'm sure you've seen these, wind-inflated balloons caught in trees all over the place.  Most people are aware that we shouldn’t use these plastic bags, and they usually have some reusable bags that they can take with them on shopping trips.  Good for them.  The real challenge comes when you make shopping trips that you hadn't planned for in advance.  That's why I keep nylon shopping bags with me at all times.  I use is a Chico bag.  You've seen them (I’ve gotten most of mine as gifts at conferences), in the little tiny stuff sack with the little tiny carabiner.  I suppose for women this is actually pretty convenient, keep one or two in your purse or hooked onto the outside of your purse.  But for men, not so much.  What I do is remove the carabiner, turn the bag inside out and fold it up into a small, flat rectangle that will fit easily into your back pocket with your wallet.  I actually have two of these in my back pocket.  This way, I am never without a shopping bag, even during impromptu shopping trips.  Simple yet elegant. 
By the way, that's the name of my new CD, which drops next week.
Now, Papa’s got a brand new bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment